Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Snowy (not Puppy) Surprise


It snowed. And snowed. And snowed.
And by Monday it will be 50 degrees.

We weren't expecting much in the way of inches over the New Year, but it is gorgeous. There is a pristine blanket of snow over everything. My camera loves the contrast and I love the eye candy! Tomorrow morning a friend and I are going to go out on a photojournalism excursion. I can hardly wait (hence this post @ 11:39 p.m.).

As I thought about the forthcoming 30-degree temperature swing and the complete change of the weather, I was really struck by the sweetness of God's surprises. I love the seasons of life He gives us, but the way He surprises us within the expectations of each season is pretty amazing, and all His. As my relationship with Jesus has come to be more real to me - and less about the rules I had chained myself to in the past - it's become apparent that He cannot be put in a box. Just when I think He will be working in one way in my life (and thus start to take the reigns over, "I can take it from here, thanks..."), He throws in a striking surprise. The surprise is a small gift that reminds me of Jesus' sovereignty and personality; it doesn't necessarily mean a change in season has to happen, but an unexpected surprise within that season can penetrate my humanity and create an understanding of His will in any area that I might be lacking.

All this from about a foot of snow.

No comments: