Tuesday, June 20, 2006

choosing a Psalm

The Psalms can read like a rather emotional blog, and I can thus easily relate... but I do think they are more. I find myself reading them to alter or enhance my mood, like some kind of hallucinatory drug. Well maybe not that strong.

Anyway, recently a trusted friend - who has been praying fervently for me - told me that the LORD laid upon his heart Psalm 34:4 while he was praying for me. He said he thought that's what He was doing for me. As soon as I could find a Bible, I tore into it to find the verse:
"I sought the LORD, and He answered me; He delivered me from all my fears."

That's it?! I thought. That's the profound thing that Almighty God is doing for me, amid all my situations, circumstances, & crises?

That's when it hit me, just how big He is. I remembered all of the times my eyes had read something to the tune of "I called upon the Lord," or "I waited upon the Lord," and the Psalmist (or prophet, or other men & women in the Scriptures) always records that God comes to our aid. As soon as He arrives, hearts change. His presence has the power of love & holiness to break loose the chains that keep us stuck... stuck in our fears, where we were never meant to stay. Our fears were only presented to us as an option, as a temporal affliction that graciously presents us the opportunity to cry out to Him, to petition to the one true God, and to let Jesus Christ change our hearts - ETERNALLY.

From this deep place, roots are removed and a seed can be planted in faith. From this deep place, a loving God can nurture a free-willed, fallen man or woman who responds to His call. From this deep place, Jesus smiles as He is given the opportunity to glorify our Father in ways we never expected or could imagine.

No comments: