Monday, June 26, 2006

A Wilderness Wasted

Every way of a man is right in his own eyes, but the LORD weighs the heart.
-Proverbs 21:2-
Many are the plans in the mind of a man, but it is the purpose of the LORD that will stand.
-Proverbs 19:21-

Could it be? Could this thing that looked so good, so right so perfect… not come to fruition? It just seems so wasteful in my human eyes. I have been alone in the wilderness, walking toward a sparkling city, and suddenly it dissipates like a mirage. Was it something I did? Something I said? Why?!

The easy question is “why.” If I had an answer to that, I’d be able to sink my talons into it and “fix it,” make it work. Knowing why would further blind me, ultimately.

So if “why” is the easy question, what is the right question? Maybe it’s not a question or an answer thing, which is uncomfortably lax for my conservative standards. I always had a problem with the phrase, “The destination is not as important as the journey.” That can be a load of bologna spread, which I don’t care for. I like results, I like accomplishments, I like… getting what I want, apparently.

All of this is revealing of Christ to me, revealing of God’s very nature, and the glimpses are beautiful, unlike anything we know or see on this earth. It does, however, leave me still in the wilderness, unsure of which direction to go or even whether to move at all. The only difference now is… I’m not alone. And my Partner has a map on His heart.

3 comments:

Ann-Marie said...

i've recently become a fan of the phrase, "it's not about a destination. it's about the journey." this is a phrase that dave and i agree on in regards to our relationship, whereas others we have known have felt that relationships are merely the catalyst to a particular destination, rather than a journey through life together, seeing where god takes you. perhaps i'm assuming too much about the content of your post. *shrug* just my $0.02. :)

Emily said...

your $0.02 are a wealth to a poor soul. i am much more in agreement with that phrase as it pertains to a partnership. i'm so pleased that you & Dave are united in thought & purpose.
i have tried not to live in that listless, grass-is-greener mentality in relationships. i haven't always been successful, but it was especially hard in a long-distance thing... desiring just to be together @ some point. i dunno.
thanks for your friendship, amo. it's the kind that makes you sit back & sigh at how good God is. :)

Ann-Marie said...

oh, my . . . thank you for that sentiment. i so appreciate it.

so when are you comin' to chicago!?!? :D