Sunday, November 18, 2007

Farmhouse-Sitting

I am house-sitting for a family from church, the Abbotts. Actually, I'm small farm-sitting. Mr. Abbott works a 9-5, and his wife and kids tend a huge garden, keep bees, raise 12 goats and 20-some chickens, and generate homemade products from all of their livestock and agriculture. Thankfully I don't have to milk the goats (I tried, I'm too slow) or have anything to do with the garden (I can't even keep a real houseplant), but this is quite a taste of farm life for me!

Reasons Why I am Grateful God Has Not Made Me a Farmer:

5:55a: Alarm goes off; I hit "snooze."


6:00a: Snooze alarm goes off, I hit "snooze" again, this time with guilt.

6:02a: I feel equal parts guilty and angry that I am up so early and get out of bed, then dressed in my chore clothes. I hear a rooster crowing.


Big ol' boots
6:10a: I strap on Mr. Abbott's boots and let the dogs out of the garage for the day.

Vanilla & Cocoa, jealous sisters

6:15a: The goats are screaming at me as soon as I turn the barn light on; I feed all 9 goats, empty the leftover water and refill the buckets, cover their "berries" (I know, I hate that term too) with hay, and give them fresh veggie treats.
A neighbor arrives to milk 4 of the goats.



Peg Leg & her twin

6:35a: I clean the barncat's litter, then refill her food & water. It's been 5 days and I've still never seen her, but she keeps leaving me her messes to clean up and eating the food I leave for her, so I'm holding out for a sighting.

6:40a: Get ready for work.

6:45a: Strain the goatmilk, put it in the freezer, and sanitize the milk pail and jugs.

It is illegal to sell goat milk in the state of Michigan.

7:05a: Leave for work.

6:30p: Return from work.

6:35p: Feed, water, clean & check the goats. Neighbor milks 4 goats.

7:00p: Strain the goatmilk, put it in the freezer, and sanitize the milk pail and jugs.


7:15p: Warily go out to the chicken yard, close up the hen house if all chickens are inside. Collect eggs.


The All-Seeing Eye

7:30p: Seperate eggs into cartons.

Fresh, free-range chicken eggs of every variety.

7:35p: Prepare dinner & eat it.

There are shelves and freezers full of homemade salsa from homegrown veggies.

10:00p: Call it a day! (Repeat the next day.)


As if the 12 goats, 20-some chickens, beehives, two dogs, and cat weren't enough to keep the Abbotts busy, they manage to homeschool the four children and have a complete line of organic honey/soaps/ lip balms/ lotions that they market & sell.

4 comments:

MeganBritt said...

So, I realize that I am crazy. But I am kind of jealous that you got to live that life... I want it a little bit.

Also, when you are here for Sankta Lucia, we have a holiday pottery sale to go to!

fdbtoo said...

I'm disappointed that you didn't post your morning 'feed the chickens' chicken dance video. Or were you afraid that the SPCA would get you on cruelty to chicken charges. One of those pictures look frighteningly similar to "Chicken Run". Another week and you may have been in the chicken pot pie!

Ann-Marie said...

i'm a little lost. why did you do this, exactly?

Melissa said...

oh.my.WORD! love it. love the pictures, love the farm life, love it all. am secretly wishing i had the wherewithal to do it myself.