Sunday, February 24, 2008

I Can't Relate

I am a pretty slow reader, I tend to take my time through pages (even if the book or article is particularly fantastic). Presently, I am still reading Hind's Feet in High Places and I am really enjoying it. On the spiritual level of life, I think it is very well-written because it can apply to so many different people's situations.
I was once talking to a friend of mine who was going through some struggles and who got upset with me for saying, "I can relate..." when she insisted that I couldn't fully. Thankfully she's a dear enough friend that we overcame that, but recently we did agree on this:
Every person's life and situation is different, such that nobody else on earth can truly, fully relate to it. We can be sympathetic, but not truly empathetic of anybody's whole life situation. BUT (and that's a big but! ), Jesus Christ can fully relate. In taking on human flesh and taking our sin, He can relate (and more) to every situation we go through. What's more, it's important to recognize that the situations we "go through" are not arbitrary nor by chance, they are gifts from God. I think life situations are constant opportunities to both grow closer to and give glory to God, and they are provided by Him in His sovereignty - so God provides situations that will grow every single part of us closer to Him.

I'm pretty sure this is true because I can take whatever situation I am given - whether I deem it good, bad, or neither - and glorify God with it. That is a big deal! The problem is, I mostly just go through my days "getting through the day" until I can relax at the end when I could be determinedly glorifying Him throughout EVERYTHING I do all day and then relax in His presence later. It's clear to see which one is easier, which is unfortunately but honestly the one I end up choosing more than not. I have hope that the Lord will change that in me as I set my heart on Him more decisively each day - I want to change for God's glory!

2 comments:

MeganBritt said...

Thank you for the good words. Here, and the text. Not to be taken lightly...

Ashleigh said...

hey emily , this is the first time i have ever read your blog(i saw the link on facebook) and i just wanted to say that you are an amazing person. Just reading a few of your blogs helped me to see things in a better way. thanks.