Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Swedes & Sweets







After several years of wishing and hoping, I finally got to steal my dear friend Tess away to my favorite city. Tess is originally from Sweden, and I have long been amazed at the bravery and perseverance she has shown in moving to the States. She only goes home about once every two years, so whenever she finds something that reminds her of Scandinavia, it is pretty special. Our weekend was no different - we visited the Swedish neighborhoods of Chicago and took in a few sights, smells, and sweets from around the city.
Tess had visited Chicago briefly before, but had never spent much time, or had a slightly more inside perspective. I loved taking her to the Signature Lounge and shopping around State Street, I learned from her as we enjoyed the Sankta Lucia pageant at my alma mater, laughed and cried with her all weekend, ate a bunch of fantastic meals at various restaurants, shared her with another dear friend, and just had a gorgeous, God-breathed mini-vacation that was such a treat. We had an ongoing conversation throughout the whole weekend that has been a tremendous blessing and I am stunned with God's goodness.
Happy birthday to a sweet Swede & thank you for being my friend, my mentor, and my sister!
P.S. Special thanks to Gilmore (haha, I can't believe Dogbe called you that all 3 semesters!) for letting us stay with her & basically making it possible for us to visit. You have such a generous, hospitable spirit & it is not only appreciated by me but also by the Lord!

2 comments:

MeganBritt said...

you know you are always welcome. i just wish i hadn't been so busy! love you!

Ann-Marie said...

looks like you had a jätte-kul time! i'm sorry i didn't get a chance to see you.

and let me say how funny i find it that, in the photo of you two at your 3k table, you can catch a glimpse of a little red lunch bag that had been hanging on the outside doorknob for days! crazy. (maybe that's just me.)