Thursday, August 14, 2008

Shower #2

The ladies at my mom's work (KVO) were kind enough to throw me a shower at the Ground Round. We shared a few laughs, ate a yummy meal, and I opened presents. I think that has become (quite selfishly) my favorite part of showers. 
Though I've known a few of the "KVO ladies" since I was born, I was also blessed by the presence and generosity of women there who love me because they love my mom - how sweet is that?! It gave me a whole new perspective of Jesus' teaching about loving the "least of these." I have always lived in plenty, and have never thought of myself as the "least of these." I don't particularly feel that way now, but when I am blessed in such a way that I can't comprehend the love, compassion, and generosity behind it, I know I must be the least this time, and it makes me want to live that generously with my own time, love, effort, compassion, and even finances (a big deal for this Dutch girl - can I get an "Amen"?).

"Then the King will say to those on His right, 'Come, you who are blessed by my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world. For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, I was naked and you clothed me, I was sick and you visited me, I was in prison and you came to me.' 
Then the righteous will answer Him, saying, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you drink? And when did we see you a stranger and welcome you, or naked and clothe you? And when did we see you sick or in prison and visit you? 
And the King will answer them, 'Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brothers, you did it to me.'"
Matthew 25:34-40



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i don't think that presents being your favorite part of showers is "quite selfish"... presents are my favorite part of LIFE!!! ha ha ha!